1. General Model Information
Name: Computer Programs for Calculating In Situ Phytoplankton Photosynthesis
Main medium: aquatic
Main subject: aquatic primary production, population dynamics,
Organization level: Ecosystem, Population
Type of model: other
Main application: research, education, simulation/optimisation tool
Keywords: FITSOLAR, PSPARMS,YPHOTO,YTOTAL,DPHOTO,DTOTAL,incoming solar PAR, algal photosynthesis, photosynthetic parameters, depth profiles, depth integrated photosynthesis, Limnology, oceanography, trophic dynamics, primary production, model, simulation
P.O. Box 1950, Kenora, Ontario, P9N 3X8, Canada
Computer programs for estimating in situ phytoplankton photosynthesis.
The programs are written in Turbo Pascal and run on IBM compatible personal
computers controlled by the MS-DOS operating system (in Windows 95, they run in
an MS-DOS window). The theory of the programs is presented in detail along with
instructions for use. Example data sets and resulting output are shown for each
of the programs.
Six programs are described here:
- FITSOLAR: Calculates an empirical constant that describes the net effect of local atmospheric factors (e.g., haze, altitude) on incoming solar PAR. This constant makes the equations used to calculate cloud-free solar PAR appropriate for a specific location.
- PSPARMS: Calculates (P)hoto(S)ynthesis (PAR)a(M)eter(S) from photosynthesis vs PAR data.
- YPHOTO: Simulates (PHOTO)synthesis as a function of depth at a single place for a range of dates (usually an entire (Y)ear or ice-free season). This program is used when a lake is sampled multiple times during the year and an estimate of photosynthesis for the entire sampling period is required.
- YTOTAL: Reads in the photosynthesis vs depth profiles calculated by YPHOTO and calculates integral and mean photosynthesis and mean PAR above and below the thermocline. Optionally, it corrects these (TOTAL)s for the decrease of lake volume with depth. This program provides estimates for a single location for a range of dates (usually an entire (Y)ear or ice-free season).
- DPHOTO: Simulates (PHOTO)synthesis as a function of depth at a single place for a single (D)ay. This program is used to analyze data when a station is sampled only once and an estimate of photosynthesis for that day is required. Data from many different stations sampled on different days (i.e., from an entire research cruise) can be analyzed in a single run.
- DTOTAL: Reads in the photosynthesis vs depth profile calculated by DPHOTO and from these data it calculates integral and mean photosynthesis and mean PAR above and below the thermocline. Optionally, it corrects these (TOTAL)s for the decrease of lake volume with depth. This program provides estimates for a single location for single dates.
II. Technical Information
Operating System(s): MS-DOS (has win2k compatibility)
Programming Language(s): Turbo Pascal
Included with distribution http://www.umanitoba.ca/institutes/fisheries/protocols.html
III. Mathematical Information
E.J. Fee; Computer Programs for Calculating In Situ Phytoplankton Photosynthesis; Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences; No. 1740; Published 26 July 1990, revised (WWW version) February 1998; Catalog Number 97--6/1740E; ISSN 0706--6457
V. Further information in the World-Wide-Web
VI. Additional remarks
Last review of this document by: : Sun Jan 5 20:22:47 2003
Status of the document: Contributed by John Zastrow
last modified by
Joachim Benz Thu Jan 9 14:51:02 CET 2003