1. General Model Information
Main medium: terrestrial
Main subject: biogeochemistry, hydrology
Organization level: ecosystem
Type of model: not specified
Keywords: groundwater, chemical reactions, reaction model, coupled linear equations, coefficient database
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Hydrologic Analysis Software Support Team
- R. Steven Regan
- 437 National Center
- Reston, VA 20192
- email: email@example.com
Parkhurst, D.L.; L.N. Plummer, and D.C. Thorstenson USGS
USGS program to calculate mass transfer for reactions in groundwater. Defines
and quantifies reactions between groundwater and minerals. Calculates the mass
transfer necessary to account for a change in composition between two water
samples. Also models mixing of waters, redox reactions and isotropic composition.
Runs as a batch program requiring input files prepared with the pre-processor BALNINPT, or a text editor.
The pre-processor automatically accesses a chemical reaction data base, BALNINPT.DAT, included with the software.
Contains source code and runtime versions. The documentation includes a description of the underlying principles
and the input necessary to run the program, and three examples typical of ground-water systems.
BALANCE is no longer maintained by the developers; it has been replaced by the program NETPATH.
II. Technical Information
Operating System(s): Unix based Systems
The above software can also be accessed via anonymous FTP from h2o.usgs.gov in the /pub/software/geochemical/balninpt directory.
- BALNINPT compiled for...
- Data General AViiON (126K) Sun SPARCstation (Solaris) (78K)
Programming Language(s): FORTRAN
- BALNINPT source code for compilation under...
- UNIX (44K)
III. Mathematical Information
Parkhurst, D.L., Plummer, L.N., and Thorstenson, D.C., 1982, BALANCE--a computer program for calculating mass transfer for geochemical reactions in ground water: U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 82-14, 29 p.
V. Further information in the World-Wide-Web
- BALNINPT Home Page
- netpath - Interactive program for calculating NET geochemical reactions and radiocarbon dating along a flow PATH
- phreeqc - A program for aqueous geochemical calculations
- phreeqe - A program for geochemical calculations
- phrqpitz - A program for geochemical calculations in brines
- wateq4f - A program for calculating speciation of major, trace, and redox elements in natural waters
- netpath(1) - Interactive program for calculating NET geochemical reactions and radiocarbon dating along a flow PATH
- phreeqc(1) - A program for aqueous geochemical calculations
- phreeqe(1) - A program for geochemical calculations
- phrqpitz(1) - A program for geochemical calculations in brines
- wateq4f(1) - A program for calculating speciation of major, trace, and redox elements in natural waters
VI. Additional remarks
Last review of this document by: T. Gabele: 16. 6. 1997 -
Status of the document:
last modified by
Tobias Gabele Wed Aug 21 21:44:39 CEST 2002